Check out these courses and workshops across Derbyshire through the year.
There are loads of courses and workshops in Derbyshire, and we’ve trawled around for the best courses for you to improve your skills or gain new ones - or just simply to feed your soul. Read on!
Craft and practical skills courses and workshops
Have you always promised yourself some 'me time' to get to grips with a new skill? We've got all angles covered with our selection of groups, classes and workshops to get involved with. So, get wiggling your belly, tapping those feet, carving wood or stone or take to treading the boards.
- Promise yourself some Finish Off Fridays! In Chesterfield weekly, get those crafty projects done!
- Learn lots of fun ways to make pots, inspire each other, and be creative, in a small and friendly group. In 6 week blocks from 6pm to 9pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays in Long Eaton from January.
- Sign up for this Derby Area Sewing Group, running in Belper from the New Year.
- Visit Chesterfield Museum to get creative and have some hands on fun at monthly craft sessions
- "Spoken...Words" poems, short stories & more; Every 1st Tuesday of each month at the Tea Chest George Street, Buxton
- Our Corner of the world is a new Arts session for young people aged 11-19, Alfreton
- The Rycote Arts Group is a recently formed group of artists and arts enthusiasts based in Derbyshire. The group meets every Saturday in Belper.
- Meet monthly in Chesterfield at the Straight Curves Book Club
- The Matlock Knitters meet every Monday night in Cromford.
- If you struggle to make time to be creative, or you simply want to learn to use a sewing machine, the Sewing Surgery might be just what you need. Turnditch, weekly
- The Art Club in Chesterfield are tutor led art sessions are aimed to be a flexible session for socialising, skill sharing and inspiration. Meets monthly.
- Join this fun group in Belper on Saturdays for improver recorder players , with musical direction / tuition at some sessions
- Drop in every Friday for a cuppa and share your crafting skills with this creative group in Staveley
- Creations is a self led craft group for women on Monday evenings in Hadfield
- Find out what there is to do at Pickford's House Museum in Derby
- CREATIONS is on a Monday evening in Hadfield – open to all women, it is a self-led group where women bring their chosen art or craft project in and allow themselves the time and space to work on this.
- Try a FREE ceramic taster session at The Long Eaton Art Room on Mondays
- There are regular life drawing sessions at The Green Man Gallery in Buxton
- ‘Sew Socials’ at Straight curves in Chesterfield are a social crafting session for those who can already use a sewing machine
- Join sculpture artist Elaine Lim-newton for relaxed and fun ceramics workshopsevery Tuesday at Signal Box Studio in Long Eaton
- Go along to Straight curves in Chesterfield and conquer your UFO’s. That’s UnFinished Objects, every Friday
- Go along to a Saturday Print workshop and create your own piece of art! Weekly in Wirksworth
- Crochet Clinic are bookable sessions are for people who have already learnt to crochet at Straight Curves
- The Write Here Write Now Group is a free creative writing group 18-40 yr olds. in Chesterfield
- Go along to these Social Sewing Sessions on alternate Tuesdays and Sundays at studios in the centre of Chesterfield
- Open to both young and old, in the centre of Derby, the Derbyshire Embroiderers' Guild meet every 2nd Saturday
- Sign up for a hands-on photography workshop you will be taking photographs using all the key features of your camera in Buxton
- Join this regular Patchwork and Quilting Workshop every Tuesday in Ednaston near Ashbourne
- Learn new skills at Wirksworth Textiles Art Club on Thursday afternoons
- Try Woolly Wednesdays on Wednesday evenings in Chesterfield or in Long Eaton instead!
- Linda Kempton runs writing workshops covering prose, poetry and play-writing, Shardlow.
- On Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Long Eaton, try this card making craft group
Sew Need A Drink runs regular classes and workshops in Via Gellia Mills. Take a look at their upcoming schedule here:
- Intermediate Sewing Class: Make a 'Rainbow' Individual Picnic Blanket - 24 May
- More Advanced Sewing Class: Make a beautiful patchwork vanity bag - 7 June
- Beginners Sewing Class: Make an Adjustable Apron (Child's or Adult's) - 12 June
- Intermediate Sewing Class: Make a Nautical Beach Bag - 27 June
- Creative Day: make your own free motion embroidered wall art - 30 June
- Intermediate Sewing Class: Make a Wine Bag with divider and personalised quote - 4 July
- Intermediate Sewing Class: Learn how to do free motion embroidery and make a decorated laundry bag - 18 July
Deeper interest courses, lectures and workshops
There's something for everyone here, whether you want to actively get involved in a workshop, or want to listen to a lecture by a seasoned guide. There are also lots of regular groups to join:
- Meeting since 1997 Derbyshire Scriptwriters write, develop and offer critiques to members working on scripts for film, tv, radio and theatre
- There's a recorders group practice session running twice monthly at Strutts Community Centre, Belper
- Join this Book Club in Chesterfield
- Have a go at life drawing in these weekly sessions held every Sunday in Chesterfield
- The Derbyshire Embroiderer's Guild meet every second Saturday at St Mary's Church Hall, Darley Lane, Derby
- Take a tour of Pickford's House Museum
- There's a weekly recorders group in Belper
- Life Drawing Model only Sessions are to be had in Chesterfield weekly until the end of November to give artists of all levels the opportunity to hone their drawing skills
- Why not join the White Peak Writers? Meetings twice a month in Belper
- Band rehearsals - Senior band Wednesday evenings 7.30pm. Training band and novice group Monday evenings 6.50pm in Long Eaton .
- Focus on writing, perform writing exercises and get feedback on your work at Derby Scribes Writing Group
- Join the Newton Solney Art Group weekly in Newton Solney, every Friday between 2 and 4pm
- Field Breaks: Art breaks offer a range of non-residential and residential art, craft, textiles and media workshops running over two to three days or a week throughout the year in Castleton.
- Forest Arts provides workshops at Rosliston Forestry Centre in various forms; watercolour painting, botanical painting, photography, drumming, singing for pleasure, drawing from the forest floor and more.
- Enjoy a literary lunch break . Go along and read (or listen to), historical fiction in a period setting on the first Monday of every month. Pickford's House Museum, Derby
Reading, libraries and literature
Read more about the Derbyshire County Council library service in the PDF attached at the bottom of the page. The library service is more than just a building with books!! You can access a whole range of other services online 24 hours a day, so read on to find out more.
If you are looking to join a Book Group then try the Reading Groups for Everyone website which is the Reading Agency’s dedicated website for readers and readers’ groups nationally. There is lots of information about current book awards and initiatives, writers, free books and competitions for book groups. You can register your reading group on the site and connect with other groups
Check out the WEA brochures for Derby, Derbyshire and Chesterfield (see below) for a variety of arts and creative courses.
For learning disabled adults and people with additional needs
At the Level Centre in Rowsley, there are weekly sessions along a range of arts themes.
In the north of the county, Life You Choose is an arts and multimedia group in Glossop for people with learning difficulties.
There's plenty going on to keep your children entertained with classes and regular group meetings to suit just about every artistic taste. How about?
There are also these regular groups running throughout the year too, so maybe now is the time to give them a try?
- Taking place at StraightCurves in Chesterfield, this is a creative session of various arts, crafts and storytelling activities for children aged 2-4 years.
- Try these guided stay & play sessions bringing nursery rhymes to life with Jumping Clay, Derby
- There's a painting and drawing club for kids and adults in Wirksworth on Saturday mornings
- Take your little one to Rompers , a weekly drop-in class for little ones and their grown-ups,in Derby every Friday morning.
- After Rompers, there is Stompers! For children aged 2-4years on Friday mornings who love to take part in song and movement games. Sessions are on Friday mornings or Monday mornings
- Movers and Shakers is a drop in class for kids every Saturday morning in Derby
- Little Creatives can do their thing every Friday from 9.45 until 11.15am with various arts, crafts & storytelling activities for children aged 2 - 4 years in Chesterfield
- Kids Club runs every Friday evening and Saturday daytime. So join in at a 2 hour session in Alfreton where you can paint your choice of figurine and then have a go on the potter's wheel.
- Centre Stage is a part time theatre school for 5-18 yrs in Derby teaching skills in all aspects of drama, singing, dance and speech
- There are helping hands for your Piano, Organ and Music theory tuition in Long Eaton.
- Bakewell School of Dance & Theatre Arts offers comprehensive Theatre and Dance training for all ages and abilities in regular weekly sessions on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays for ages 3+.
- Theatreworks- Classes offered in Drama and Musical Production for aged three to 17 years in Bonsall .
- The ICODA Infrared dance and theatre school runs very Wednesday 4.15pm-6.15pm in Long Eaton and is dedicated to teaching children and young adults skills in performing arts.
- The Glee Club Burton on Trent runs every Monday from 6.30-7.30pm for 10-16 year olds and from 7.45pm to 8.45pm for 17+ year olds.
- Twisting Tots is a fun mix of songs, rhymes, actions and props to educate young children and keep them entertained. Every Monday in Duffield , Tuesday at 10am in Matlock or 2pm in Belper , Wednesday in Ripley , or Fridays at 10amor 11.15am in Belper .
- Dancebeats are dance classes around Derby for children aged 3-18 years old. Venues include Stepping Lane, Chellaston, Mickleover and Chaddesden. Performing Arts classes for aged three to 17 years.
Keep your professional practice skills up to date. Also check out our Artists' and Arts Organisations' Training News page for many more opportunities.
Adult Community Education
Get on course with Derbyshire Adult Community Education. New courses start running each term, and so it's never too late. For full course details, download a brochure for your area from the Derbyshire County Council website. The areas covered by each brochure are as follows:
- Western : Covering Ashbourne, Bakewell, Hope Valley, Matlock, Wirksworth, Buxton and Fairfield, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Gamesley, Glossop and New Mills.
- Eastern : Covering Bolsover, Chesterfield, Clay Cross, Dronfield, Eckington, Killamarsh, Shirebrook and South Normanton.
- Southern : Covering Alfreton, Belper, Codnor, Long Eaton, Ilkeston, Hatton, Melbourne, Newhall and Swadlincote.
- At the bottom of this page you will also be able to find the latest Spring brochure for the Eco Centre in Middleton-by-Wirksworth, a venue that is stuffed full of heritage crafts, arts and crafty workshops and courses.